WHAT IS A DENTAL IMPLANT?
Dental implant is basically a screw that replaces the tooth root. It is made of titanium, which is osteoconductive – meaning that the bone connects with the implant surface in the process called osseointegration.
Dental implants enable us to protect patient’s healthy dental tissue. By placing a dental implant in the jaw, we don’t have to compromise neighbouring teeth to replace the missing tooth. As we provide support for the tooth (crown), we preserve the bone and hence, we don’t lose it, which is something that would otherwise surely happen.
Osseointegration was discovered in the 1970s, when the implants started gaining their widespread use. The implants from the 1970s differ in design and surface from today’s contemporary implants.
Modern dental implants are technologically engineered to integrate with the bone structures and to resist demanding conditions in the oral cavity. The success rate of the implant therapy is 98%, provided the patients follow doctor’s instructions.
WHAT ARE DENTAL IMPLANTS USED FOR?
The main purpose of the implant is to replace the functional, aesthetic and phonetic aspect of the tooth.
Implants are an excellent choice for the patients who want fixed prosthetic solution if one or more teeth are missing. Dental implants represent and ideal option in protective approach to dental therapy, which means that we save your healthy teeth because, following the approaches of modern dentistry, we do not compromise healthy teeth by grinding.
Implants are the first choice in toothless situations where 4 – 6 implants per jaw create a durable base that carries the prosthetic work.
All on 4 is a method that involves strategic placing of 4 dental implants in a jaw to reconstruct a completely toothless jaw or a jaw with teeth that lost their functional and aesthetic characteristics. Great advantage of this method is that the patient immediately gets prosthetic work, in 1 to 3 days after the implantation. This method enables patients to get an affordable reconstruction of the jaw, while at the same time, they don’t have to undergo an additional treatment called sinus augmentation or sinus lift, which is used to increase the amount of bone in upper jaw, specifically in the area of premolars and molars.
Provided all relevant criteria are met, the patient immediately gets complete function of the teeth by creating a temporary bridge.
The procedure involves taking a dental impression immediately after the implants have been placed. It is then used in a dental laboratory to create a temporary prosthetic work. After 4 to 6 months, temporary work is replaced with a permanent one. The period of 4 to 6 months allows the implant to fully integrate with the jaw and create a stable and permanent structure that will carry permanent prosthetic work.
The main goal of this treatment is to make sure the patient gets the desired results with minimal trauma and in the shortest time possible.
WHAT IS THE SUCCESS RATE OF DENTAL IMPLANTS?
Our extensive experience with dental implants and continuous education we invest in ensure our patients receive painless and professional service in our clinic with an impressive dental implant success rate of more than 99.5%.
The high success of implant therapy is ensured by using Titanium Grade 5, which is the best for medical purposes and has optimal mechanical properties. In order for the implant to become a reliable replacement for the missing tooth root, we use only top quality implant systems: Nobel BioCare, AstraTech i Bego.
Our implants come with a lifetime warranty and they are made of top quality materials under strictly controlled conditions in Europe. Titanium used for implants has the highest purity level or class IV, and each implant system we use has over 600 clinical studies that confirm their quality.
During your first consultation and examination, our dental doctor gets a deep insight into your dental situation, which enables him to suggest the best possible solutions to your dental problem. If you don’t have an X-ray with you, in our clinic you can have an X-ray of your jaws on spot, prior to the examination.
All dental treatments in our clinic are painless and professional, while performed quickly and expertly. For this reason, fear and anxiety will soon disappear. Our end goal and biggest reward is seeing your smile and your satisfaction with the result of the dental treatment.
There are four stages of implant procedure:
- Implant surgery
- Integration phase (minimum 3 months)
- Fixing prosthetic work on the implant
1. Planning: In implant therapy planning, we use RTG diagnostics to evaluate the amount of the existing bone, which is the main prerequisite for the therapy. If there is not enough bone for implant placement, there are specific surgical bone replacement procedures that provide us with stable and reliable results enabling the implant therapy. Also, general medical documentation is evaluated to ensure the procedure is as successful as possible. Generally, medical contraindications to implant therapy are minimal.
2. Dental implant surgery: The implant is surgically placed in the jaw bone in a painless procedure, as it is performed under local anaesthesia and / or with conscious sedation, if requested by a patient. Implant placement is an outpatient surgical procedure, which means that the patients are released from surgery after the operation and they can return to their daily activities. Depending on the number of implants, additional required treatments and the condition in the mouth, the average duration of the procedure is 15 to 60 minutes.
After the implant surgery, the patients get temporary teeth so they can continue with private and professional activities during the process of osseointegration (approximately 4 months), which is the period needed for the implant to integrate with the bone structures. With osseointegration completed, it is time to create a long-lasting quality ceramic work, whether it is a crown, a bridge of several members or a complete fixed bridge.
3. Osseointegration phase: It takes three to six months for the implant to integrate with the bone and become a stable substitute for a tooth root. This process is known as osseointegration and once completed, it is time to finalize the therapy with the prosthetic work.
4. Prosthetic work: A final stage of the implant therapy which comprises placement of a ceramic crown or a bridge, depending on the extent of the therapy.
We need to highlight the importance of maintaining adequate oral hygiene following the instructions received after the treatment. This also comprises regular check-ups that are normally arranged in advance.
In our clinic, we exclusively use superior implant systems, such as Astra Tech and BEGO Semados, in order to ensure the best possible results are achieved.
Made in Germany after more than 25 years of experience and research in dental industry, BEGO Semados implants proudly stand out from the rest. BEGO implants are characterized by the perfect design of TiPure surface and their prosthetic structures that are tailored to the needs of contemporary dental medicine. Every situation that requires a dental implant is different and BEGO adjusted its design and prosthetic structures to the needs of modern dental medicine in every aspect.
Astra Tech (Dentsply Sirona) is a world renowned implant system made in Sweden. It has been on the market since 1970’s, Astra Tech is considered to be a pioneer of dental implantology. Due to its exceptional quality and high success rate, Astra Tech positioned itself as a stable and reliable implant system. Its main advantage is OsseoSpeed surface which facilitates integration with the bone.